Monday, August 29, 2011

Question #2

So the first book we decided to read is The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.  Most of you have already read (or will read in school if you haven't yet) stories by Steinbeck such as Of Mice and Men and The Pearl.  What do you think of Steinbeck's stories?  He won the Nobel Prize in 1962.  Why do you think we still read his books decades after his death? 

5 comments:

  1. Personaly, I did not care for Of Mice and Men. I do, however, feel that John Steinbeck is an iconic American writer. He captured the spirit of his time in his books. That is why his works are considered classic and are still read today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed both Of Mice and Men and The Pearl, although now it's been a few years since I've read either one of them. But both of them dealt with depressing themes, just as the book we're about to read together now. But I do think they provide us with a glimpse of what life was like in his era, and I appreciate that. It's more interesting - and personal - sometimes when you can attached names and faces (albiet fictional) with a situation instead of just reading an account out of a history book. It leaves us with more of a lasting image of the lifestyle when you're dealing with "real" people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Steinbeck is an iconic American writer. I think that his books are so popular because of the style that they are written in, which is so different from any other author I have read. Some parts almost seem poetic, the flow of the sentences and the structure. I have not read Of Mice and Men, or The Pearl, but after this story I will read them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I can post now! Sorry I have not been commenting sooner! I have had a very hard time with my Google Account! I loved of Mice and Men, because I felt it brought in moral conflicts that you do not see in many books.I like that Steinbeck is not afraid to bring in controversial elements to his books. He paints a true picture of America and human nature, because he is not afraid to show the ugly as well as the good. He also shows the struggle within characters, which makes his characters much more realistic. They are not the traditional dragon-slaying heroes or the poison-brewing villans. He is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete