Monday, August 22, 2011

Question #1

What was the best NEW book you've read so far in 2011?  Tell us a little about it.  For example, I'd have to say the best book I've read for the first time so far this year is The Book Thief.  It's about WWII but it is told in a much different way than other books I've read on the subject.  It's an amazing book!  Feel free to comment below on my book and/or a book of your own

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Mr. Barnard! The book ranks as one of my top 10 favorites of all time. I admire the author's choice of narrator; it is a unique take on a disturbing time in history. As Mr. Barnard commented to me, "This book is a stay-up-til-2 AM type of book!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My books of 2011? Well, it's a pretty embarrasing list so far. =) I re-read Harry Potter in preparation for the final film, and then I was so depressed after that was over that I re-read all four Twilight books in like five days. (Shhhhh, PLEASE don't tell anyone!!) But a good NEW book I read this summer was called "Bonnes Vacances: A Crazy Family Adventure in the French Territories." I picked it up at the airport in London, so it was written by a British woman and I got to learn a few new words in British English (it's not a trunk - it's a boot!). In this book, a woman took her four small children and her husband on an around-the-world tour stopping ONLY in island nations where people speak French and wrote documentaries about them while her husband filmed them. But she spoke very little French, and the rest of her family spoke no French at all, so they encountered quite a few difficulties (and insects). I think it would be one of those adventures that would be stressful while you were in the process of it but rewarding to look back upon later! Also this summer, I re-read Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence and a book about speaking better French. Ummmm...I think that's it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favorite book so far this year was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I loved how the author used different points of view to show life in the era-plus, it is an era that is not studied in school a lot. The controversy in the book is fascinating, and led me to do some background research about the south in the 1960's. Some parts of the story are a little, umm, interesting; however, it would not take anything away from the story if you were to skip the parts that are a little inappropriate. If you like historical fiction, then you will probably like this story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only read one NEW book this summer (yes, it's pathetic). However, the book I read was Anna Karenina. This was an amazing book by Leo Tolstoy! It has such an epic romance that I compare to Katherine and Heathcliff's in Wuthering Heights! It is also a story of people who are not THE STARS of society. The story, set in Russia, spoke of conflicts of morality, honor, love, and financial security. I thought it was a very deep and thought provoking book. I also re-read/re-listened via audiobook Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I recommend both books!

    ReplyDelete